Saturday, April 12, 2008

No news is good news

Mom called and said she is getting married this September! Are you shocked? Me too!
I don't talk about my mom much since we don't have a very close relationship. Mom sent me (vu+o+.t bie^n) when I was 16, a few years before that Mom sent my younger brother who was 11. Don’t ask why? I stop asking why because the answer wasn’t to my satisfactory. Mom told us since dad passed away and she was told she had cancer and thought she was going to die then no one will be able to take care of us…She sent us to escape in hope of better future. The journey was successful; I came to the state after 6 months in refugee camp. I went through a few foster parent homes and finally ended up with Tom and Kathy who is the greatest foster parent one can ask for.
I went through my teenage years with a lot of self discipline and a lot of guilt built by mom. She often sent letters playing all kind of guilt trip trying to set me straight. I remembered there was not a letter that she didn’t remind me of my responsibility of being the oldest and how I am suppose to be focus on my study so one day I could sponsor her to the US and take care of the family.
Fast forward to 2002, Mom arrived to US and stayed with me for a couple of months then she said she wanted her freedom and didn’t want to work in a factory. She choose to go to Florida and worked there as a nail technician since her sister was there at the time. I didn’t stop her, didn’t feel like asking her to stay either because I can’t said to her that I want to build a relationship with her. I don’t think we both will be happy because she and I are very much independent and I think it is too late to have a close relationship when one is in their late 30. I am babbling again …
Past February when she came to visit me for Te^’t, she casually told me and put me on the phone for 5 minutes to chu’c Te^’t her boyfriend. She giggles like a teenager when she talked about her bf. My reaction was just normal J I am glad she found someone to enjoy the rest of her life with and at least now she has someone who can be near by to take care of her. When I was one the phone, I told him exactly that J Ca'm o+n chu' la`m ba.n vo+'i me. cua? Con. Ca'm o+n chu' o+? be^n ca.nh chia se? buo^`n vui vo+'i me. con.
Fast forward to last week, I received a phone call from her. She told me she is planning to get marry this September. She giggles on the phone still like a teenager who is in love. I told her I am happy for her. It’s a weird feeling because I still think she is just teasing me. She called me again to night and told me she told my brother. I am wonder how he feels. True fully, I know it is great she found someone and I should be happy for her. Now she has someone who will be able to take care of her every needs and I don’t have to worry what will happen if this and that when I am not able to be there for her. It is a good thing…I need to remind myself that. However it is just weird that I don’t know how I will be able handle the whole wedding thing and actually meet him. For a couple of days now I am wonder what would I call him? Chu’ or what? What will my kids call him? O^ng or what?
Mom is getting married, Mom is getting married…I should be happy!!!

2 comments:

Our family said...

That is a big news but you wrote "No news is good news". Wow!!! I may not understand what you feel but I myself feel you will have a lot of days that you can't sleep because of the mix of happy and confuses. However it is the best for you and your mom. For her that she is finally happy again and enjoy her young age again. For you that you don't have to worry about her as you always do. Her new husband will take care of her. As far as I know there are YOU and ME here so you don't have to worry about how to call him ;-) just kidding!!

Congratulation to your mom!!! you should support her so that she will be happier. Life is short let she enjoys it. We are too.

zen said...

zen phục Trúc giàu lòng nghị lực và biết tự đứng lên. zen không biết nhiều về Trúc nhưng với một mái ấm mà Trúc có bây giờ và những ngày tháng sống tự lập, zen thấy chặng đường Trúc đi thật quá dài so với những gì zen đã đi.
Dù sao đi nữa, cũng nên vui vì mẹ Trúc cũng tìm được nơi nương tựa.
Vui nhé!